An electron is a negatively charged subatomic particle. It can either be free or bound to the nucleus of an atom. Electrons exist in the volume of atoms that surrounds the Nucleus. Electron was discovered in 1897 by J.J Thomson.
Characteristics of Electron
- The symbol of the electron is e–.
- Electrons have a negative charge of -1.
- An electron has a mass of approximately 1/1836 of the mass of a Proton.
- An electron has a negative charge of 1.602X10-19
- The number of electrons in an atom is the same as the number of protons in the atom.
- electron(-1)= proton(+1)=atom.
- Electrons have no known components or substructure.
- Electron is the first generation of the lepton particle family.